Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The re re edition

I'm hard at work editing my novel, for the umpteen gabillionth time. That's right, I had to make up a word to express the number of edits I've done. Truth is, I don't think I'll ever "be done" editing. I thought I was, until I joined another critique group. I'm glad I got their feedback, but man! I thought it was ready to go, obviously wrong. So, I sent it to my sister, to get an outside perspective, and told her, "I've re re re re re re re re edited, please read it and tell me what you think." Therefore, today we have the re re edition blog post to celebrate editing.
Yuck. I do have an excellent recommendation for that manuscript you're cleaving to so desperately. A book called The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. All that random advice you see on blogs, agent websites, Twitter, and everywhere else is compiled and expounded on in this book. Seriously helped me to understand everything I was reading. It even has exercises at the end of each chapter. I know you're thinking, "But Holly, it's only the first five pages." You're right, that is what it focuses on, but you can apply every lesson to all parts of your MS. So go read it, now!

No comments: