Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book Recommendation - Angelfire

Angelfire
By Courtney Allison Moulton

 Blurb from Goodreads: "When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.
A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once."
Okay, so, at first I wasn't so sure about this book.  You see, I'm a wimp.  Reapers - totally scary.  The first night I picked it up I had nightmares and told myself there was no way I could read the rest of the book.

But I kept thinking about it.  And thinking about it.  I had been hooked.

One thing I really loved was all the action.  Tons of fight scenes, tons of tension.  I flew through page after page just soaking in the fighting.  Obviously, I really liked all the fights.  lol  And WILL!  Oh, Will.  *swoon*  I wish I could pluck him out of the book and keep him all for myself.  Another thing I liked was the religious based undertone of the book.  Nothing preachy, don't worry.  But I studied philosophy and religion in college along with my English, and it fascinates me.  I think that added to my enjoyment.  It was obvious that Moulton put a lot of thought into her premise, and I applaud her for it.

I definitely recommend you grab a copy for yourself when it is released on February 15, 2011.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Interesting -- I was wondering how this book would be! I'm gad to hear it's super exciting! It's definitely in my highly-anticipated stack!

On a side note: there aren't usually too many changes between an ARC and the final copy (I only know this because I was recently told come ARC-time, I won't be able to change anything, so I need to spot all issues b4 then!).

So hopefully whatever your "nit-picking" was over won't be noticeable to non-writers! ;)

Thanks for the review!

Pam Harris said...

I was on the fence about this one, but I think you may have convinced me to give it a try. :) Great review!

Holly Hill said...

Susan, ah well...I don't think it's anything a non-writer will notice. :)

Pam, it took me a long time to finally pick this one up because I was wavering on the fence myself. I'm glad I did though.

Alicia Gregoire said...

You've convinced me. I'm going to go add this to Goodreads now.

Yahong said...

There seems to be a lot of great buzz on Angelfire. I'm scared of any book that'll give me nightmares, too! (Hunger Games, anyone?) But I suppose I'll check it out. :)

Marquita Hockaday said...

I've had this book on my Goodreads "To Read" list forever. And when you mentioned Reapers and how much it scared you, I realized I need to move it up! This will def. be my next purchase. Great review :)

Erinn said...

Nice review-- I've seen this cover so many times I thought it was out already. very cool

LTM said...

cool, Holly! Thanks for the review~ :o) <3