Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's NaNo Time!


http://files.content.lettersandlight.org/nano-2011/files/2011/10/Participant_180_180_white.png 


Today is the official kickoff of NaNoWriMo!  Woohoo!  I have no idea how you add writing buddies on the NaNo website, but if you do feel free to add me (or clue me in lol) I'm hddodson.

I was thinking that even though I haven't done NaNo before, I have written a couple of novels in a month, so maybe I could share a few tips with you guys.  Things I've learned the hard way so you don't have to.  ;)

1.  First of all, when you're writing a novel at such a fast pace, you've got to trust yourself.  This may be the hardest part for me, but I feel like it's also the most important one.  I don't know about you guys, but when I get about 1/3 of the way into any story I start getting clammy.  My fingers freeze up and my mind grinds to a halt because OMG this SUCKS.  This will never be a good story, why am I even bothering?  THAT, my friends, is where you've got to put the breaks on.  Everyone has their own way of working through this feeling, but all in all it's about trusting yourself as a storyteller to work out the problems.  Trust that you can fix anything that's wrong with it later and press on.

2.  Know where you're going.  Writing fast is all about passion for me.  You've got this story in you and it NEEDS to come out rightthissecond or you may explode from the force of it!  Again, this is from my perspective, but if I don't have a clear goal for where the story is going, I'll meander my way right out of it.  It can be as simple as a log line or as detailed as a stack of worksheets.  Whatever works for you, but know your path.  For Happily Never After, I started with a log line -- a girl gets trapped in a fairy tale, and has to escape before she loses her memories -- that's it.  For Tate's Hell I used an outline (Boy was that a lot easier too!).  Whatever works.  I'll be using an outline again this time.

3.  Don't find time, make time.  This is true all the time for any kind of writing I think, but especially for NaNo.  You can't just hope you'll find the time to write 2k words a day, because it won't happen.  You've got to search it out, squeeze it in wherever it will fit, even if it's only in ten minute increments.

And because I know you're all just dying for more pics of Super Spawn...here he is as Captain Jack Sparrow last night.  ;)




No comments: