Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday - Kick Me Into Shape!

This week on the YAHighway, the topic is:

What kind of writing coach do you need? What kind are you?(This is in relation to Sarah's post on Mentors)

http://www.inkity.com/shirtdesigner/prints/clipArt1/N9786570.png


As for me, I think I fit right into the gentle honesty category (and I happen to think Tim Gun is pretty fabulous).  When I critique I'm very honest.  I'm not going to let anything slide, but I'm also going to make my comments and suggestions in the nicest possible way.  I use lots of smiley faces when I crit, just ask my buddies.  ;)  They say it softens the blow, and I have to agree.

As for what kind of coach I need, I think it depends on the day.  Some days I need that gentle honesty -- some days I just need someone to say, "Hmm, I really like the idea of super space raccoons invading the supermarket, but I don't think I quite understand where they came from.  I thought we were in contemporary Kansas?"  lol

Other times, I need some Brutal Honesty.  And I'll ask for it when I'm ready.  I want to know point blank what is weak, and don't worry about my feelings, I can handle it.

Probably most people will agree that having more than one type of coach/feedback on your writing is necessary and preferred even.  Not only does it help improve your writing on multiple levels, but it also thickens your skin and readies you for what's to come down the road.

What kind of coach do you prefer?

No comments: