Monday, February 28, 2011

Hold Your Breath

My life has been full of unexpected twists and turns.  Full of happenings that crumble the bedrock of everything I believe of people.  Many times I've pondered the different paths I chose, and many times I've wondered if I chose correctly.

I'm facing a new fork in the road, and though it is something I've anticipated (and maybe even secretly hoped for), it's no less daunting standing in front of it.


photo
credit


Left or right, no matter how I choose, the repercussions are going to follow me for the rest of my life.

So I'm holding my breath.

As it turns out, holding my breath is great for my writing.  All these emotions, confusions, fears, and uncertainties have compiled themselves into fuel.  I've started that SNI.  My MC's voice came to me in the middle of all of my confusion. 

I now know exactly how she feels, and exactly how to put it to words.  It all just clicked into place.

It's amazing how things work, isn't it? 

And as for which path to choose, that will come with time, and I'm hoping it will bring great things.

Do you find this happens to you?  Is your writing dependent on your own emotion?

9 comments:

Susan said...

My writing motivation is definitely dependent on my emotions, but...the actual writing is usually independent.

I'm glad you can use all this emotion as fuel! Good luck writing your SNI!! :D

Meredith McCardle said...

I hope it all works out for you! And yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. My writing isn't necessarily dependent on whatever emotion I'm feeling at the time, but I find that when I'm particularly emotionally in tune with my main character, it just flows organically.

Erinn said...

My writing totally effects my mood, not the other way around. I like feeling productive (hence why I love LISTS so much) and when I write I feel more productive.

Pam Harris said...

I think it's a little give and take. My mood affects my writing sometimes, but there have also been quite a few times where the writing has affected my mood. I think that's why writing is so therapeutic for people. You get to share what's bottled inside of you--and when my characters overcome something, I feel a bit triumphant. It's WAY cheaper than seeing a shrink. :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Oooh, this sounds fun and exciting. Great to glean that emotion as it's happening. Tuck it away and go back to it when writing.
YAY Holly.

Janet Johnson said...

My experiences definitely influence my writing. All that emotion makes my writing better for sure. Best of luck with the fork. :)

Alicia Gregoire said...

First, good luck with the fork. Second, a lot of time my mood affects my writing, but a lot of times I just put the feelings away and try to dig them up later when I actually need them to write something specific.

Holly Hill said...

Susan - Yes, it's the beginning of a new MS that I need that emotional motivation. The rest just sort of follows.

Meredith, me too.

Erinn, I've had that happen too, but usually it's the other way around.

Pam, that is SO true!

Kat, it's definitely great to save those feelings for later.

Janet, word. I agree.

Alicia, I do that too. :)

Yahong said...

Wow, this is so true. Emotions really do help bring out the best writer in you. (Okay, that sounded hokey.) I think a lot of gems are created when you're feeling something really strong. For me, I usually write poetry, and the end result always resonates with me.