Thursday, August 25, 2011

Momspiration

By which I mean Mom Inspiration, not perspiration.  ;)

It has been a little over a week since Super Spawn started his private violin lessons, and the little guy has impressed me more and more each day.

I'm not talking about technical proficiency or anything here, his bow hold is far from perfect, but I'm talking about dedication.  My four-year-old son practices for 20-30 minutes every night, no complaint.  He listens to the CD of music he'll be learning over the next year for a minimum of an hour a day.

And he never complains.  Quite the opposite, he enjoys it.

Honestly, if I forget to turn his music on as soon as he gets in the car, he reminds me.  I'm just amazed at the level of devotion he is already showing toward his violin, and it's more than a little inspiring.  He enjoys doing it, looks forward to it even, and then follows through and puts forth the effort to learn something new.

http://www.carmenpiculeata.com/wp-content/uploads/suzuki%20violin%201%2010.jpg

Each of his lessons, his teacher has started by asking him, "Super Spawn, do you still want to learn to play violin?"  To which he responds by jumping and yelling, "Yes!"

When I sit back and think about it, I get a little hot in the face.  I mean, I love writing.  I love building stories and crafting characters and everything that comes along with it.  But do I practice every day with excitement for what I'm doing?  No.  And maybe I should be.

I'm making a resolution in front of all of you, my lovely followers.  From now on, I am going to approach my writing like Super Spawn approaches his violin -- with love, excitement, and dedication.  I won't look at it as work, but as an enjoyable time I get to spend doing something that makes me truly happy.

What about you guys?  Want to join in on my pledge?

My name is Holly, and I write for the love of it.  Do you?

No comments: