Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fear of an Idea

Nothing about this whole writing for publication process is easy.  Sure, parts of it are fun, and it brings joy, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

This has come about because of the WIP I'm writing currently.  It's a story I'm enjoying writing, the characters have great chemistry, and it has a nice unexpected twist.  I've also got another idea I've been making notes for -- one that's making my fingers ache to get started writing it.

But when I sit down in front of that page, I clam up.  I can force out a couple hundred words, but then I sneer at it and close the program so I don't have to see it anymore.  And I know why -- fear.

http://beautifulwings.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/waiting.jpg

Here's the thing I've realized just in the last week: I'm scared that I've written (or am writing) the wrong thing.  The wrong story at the wrong time that won't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing an agent, let alone getting in front of an editor.

I know, I know...write what you love, don't worry about trends, blah, blah, blah.  And that's easy advice to give someone, and it's sound advice.  I'm not knocking it.  But truth is, the fear is still there.  The, "Am I shooting myself in the foot before I even get started?" 

I'm not the only one out there feeling this way, I happen to know for fact.  But I think it's important for me to say it out in the open.  I'm facing my fear head on.  I'm writing the stories that I love and just hoping for the best.  There's nothing else to do, is there?

And hey, the underlying fear will push us to make our writing stronger, which is what matters the most anyway.  Right?

No comments: