Monday, May 3, 2010

Mommy Monday

For the last couple weeks I've found my writing time going by the way-side. This is not something I'm happy about. It makes me snippy and leaves me feeling overburdened by work and my emotions. Not a fun person to be around at all. So, sitting at my desk working diligently on a project for my boss I got to thinking.

People often say things like, "I haven't found the time", when asked if they've written anything new. Or when someone inquires on the status of edits they might say, "It's taking a lot of time, and I just don't have much these days."

I've found myself guilty of the last one recently.

The truth may not be what you want to hear. Or what I want to hear either, but I know, for a fact, it works.

You don't find time to do anything, you make time.

Priorities is what it all comes down to. Now, is my Super-Spawn going to be cast aside for writing time? No. He is my first priority always. But, that book I'm reading, that lunch date I've made? Those are negotiable.

I'm not telling anyone to give up reading and a social life. All I'm trying to say is everything you do is a choice. I chose to go out shopping on Saturday with Super-Spawn and Preggo instead of writing. I didn't lose the time, I made a conscious decision. Here I am to admit that I need to start making better writing decisions. My edits are going dreadfully slow and it's nobody's fault but my own.

Just make up your mind and DO IT. It seems ridiculously simple, right? All it takes is the will power to back it up.

Hmmm, now where did I leave my will power?

What does this have to do with being Mommy? Well, everything. Being mommy defines my life. I work full time, cook, play, read, all of it for Super-Spawn. Everything I do is focused on and around him and that even includes my writing. I'd never be where I was today without the punk; he's my inspiration. One day I'll tell you the story of finding my inspiration for Emerald. You'll see then how my writing really is because of him.

3 comments:

Glenna said...

Go mommy! (: Writing and children are no two easy things to juggle, and writing is like giving birth in your mind... Ooooh the labor pains.

Pam Harris said...

More power to you for juggling both writing AND children. I have to squeeze in time to write now and I'm currently child-less. Right now, I'm in a revision stage. I write down on a calendar which chapters I want to work on, and I suddenly feel compelled to get it done since I wrote my goal down. It's weird, but if I feel more guilty when I see things in writing. I push forward, no matter how tired or busy I am. :)

Holly Hill said...

Pam I do the same thing! I write deadlines on my calendar for myself. Actually I find that beating the deadline really becomes my goal. If I finish early it seems like a special victory.

Blue- I find revisions to be like labor pains, and writing is like that euphoric time when you first find out you're expecting...and then comes the morning sickness. LOL