Thursday, July 8, 2010

Book Recommendation - Dracula In Love

Dracula in Love
By Karen Essex




Blurb from Goodreads: "From the shadowy banks of the River Thames to the wild and windswept coast of Yorkshire, the quintessential Victorian virgin Mina Murray vividly recounts in the pages of her private diary the intimate details of what transpired between her and Count Dracula—the joys and terrors of a pas­sionate affair and her rebellion against a force of evil that has pursued her through time."


I was so excited to score this super-fantastic ARC (Thanks to Doubleday!!). The novel is set to debut August 10, 2010, and let me tell you -- you want it.

First of all -- the cover! *gushes* I absolutely adore the cover. Then I started reading, and I got that shivery feeling of awe from the very first sentence. I was hooked.

The first chapter was a bit disturbing, as it is an attempted rape scene. Really, the whole book is very sexual, so if that's not your taste then stay far away. I'm not a romance reader, and in my YA I usually like it kept pretty clean, but this isn't YA.

I'm not sure what I'd call this to be honest. Paranormal romance? A romantic historical fiction? Is that even a genre?

Who cares, I loved it. For me, reading this book was like eating a box of delicate dark chocolates. The writing is superb, the prose enchanted me from the start.

This is her own rendition of Dracula. She took the same characters, twisted it around, put the story in Mina's perspective, and gave a fresh look to a classic tale.

I loved it.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow -- definitely an amazing cover! If only Eleanor could have the same. ;)

How did you get an ARC, out of curiosity?

Holly Hill said...

You know, Susan, the instant I saw this cover I thought of Eleanor. lol I'm sure she will get her own exquisite cover :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Yes- what's your secret for getting ARCs? and GREAT review-- thanks. It looks interesting. Will add to the gigantic to read list.

Holly Hill said...

No secret, I get the Shelf Awareness newsletter. :)