Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Road Trip Wednesday

This week's topic: What's your favorite reading memory?


Mine is definitely sitting in our front yard, on a blanket, under a huge oak tree with an umbrella and my book. The gentle patter of rain that made it's way through the branches on my umbrella as a story transported me to another time and place. It was magical.

I still find myself longing for those moments again. I'd also sit out in the winter (I did it all the time) bundled in a blanket under the same tree.

My mom sold that house and land about five years ago, and it broke my heart. I will drive by it sometimes just to stare at that tree and remember myself as a little girl sitting at its base.

That is my favorite memory. What's yours? Hop over to YAHighway to see what everyone else has to say.

--
Thanks for baring with me as I adjust to my new job and schedule. It has been incredibly hard to make all my blog rounds, but hopefully I'll fall into a routine soon.

6 comments:

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

it sounds magical.

Glenna said...

Oh my god, my heart just broke. That sounds magical and tragic and BLUH. Great post, Holly.

And keep kicking ass at new job. <3

Kate Hart said...

Congrats on the new job. I hope you find a new magic tree soon.

Unknown said...

Awww - that is such a beautiful memory. I hope another little girl is appreciating that tree as much as you did.

And YAY for the new job!

LTM said...

congrats on the job! And awww... your tree. :o|

I remember being at summer camp and they had a tiny library (it was like an old broom closet w/a bookshelf). I loved the way it smelled--like old books. And there was an ancient couch crammed in there and a tiny window unit...

wow. just remembered that.

EXCELLENT post! :o)

Jess said...

What a sweet memory! I think trees and books are soul mates, and not just because trees make books. :)