- Write every day - Sure, I do writing related things every day, but even before there was revising and blogging to be done I didn't write every day. Sometimes you need time to think, too.
- Write what you know- Yawn. I'm a researchaholic and I like to write things I don't know just so I can research them. I'm also easily distracted, so if what I'm writing feels too familiar, I can't do it.
- Don't read what you write- Um, but I'm supposed to write what I want to read. And keep reading while I'm writing. They aren't mutually exclusive! I'm sorry, but every chance I get I'm reading Harry Potter and you can't stop me. I think my book is better for it -- it reminds me to stay fresh and original.
- Lower your expectations- No. No freaking way. My expectations are what fuel my drive.
- Pay for an editor- Psh, please. That's what crit partners are for. They're amazing people that evaluate your novel for no monetary fee, they just want you to evaluate their own. Now, I'd pay someone if I were going to self publish, but I'm not.
Those are just my own that I purposefully ignore. What about you all? Do you have any writing "rules" you like to break?
Speaking of rule breakers...one of these would do the trick. I'll take one!
- Blueberry Schnapps
- Blue Curacao Liqueur
- 7-Up® Soda
- Sour Mix