Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Recommendation - Radiance

Sorry for the radio silence yesterday.  I wound up being out and about all day -- still trying to resolve car issues, so I didn't know what the Road Trip was.  Until about 20 minutes ago that is.  ;)

RADIANCE
By Alyson Noel


Radiance (Riley Bloom, #1)

Blurb from Goodreads: "Riley has crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. She has picked up life where she left off when she was alive, living with her parents and dog in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. When she’s summoned before The Council, she learns that the afterlife isn’t just an eternity of leisure. She’s been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a possibly cute, seemingly nerdy boy who’s definitely hiding something. They return to earth together for Riley’s first assignment, a Radiant Boy who’s been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But all of that was before he met Riley . . ."


This is a MG book I picked up on a whim when I stopped in the book store to waste some time one day.  I liked the cover, but the pages...oh, the pages.  They have those ragged edges that are so deliciously gorgeous I can't stand not to own any book I see that has them.  *ehm*  Seriously.  I bought this book for the ragged edged paper.  So sue me.

Turns out though, I really enjoyed the story too.  I read it in just a few short hours.  It's fast paced and entertaining, without being too fast.  I also really like Riley's voice.  She's snarky and sarcastic, but not overly so...she's still likable.  Which is important.


The story itself is quite simple, but the concept keeps you thinking even after you put it down.


A very well written book with entertaining characters and events.  I especially like that this book for younger teens tackles an issue like death.  And Noel does it with the utmost care for her audience.  Excellent.

No comments: