Monday, April 25, 2011

Word Wars

Do you ever feel like you just need to clear the words out of your head? It’s like they’re taking up so much space in your brain there’s no room for anything else. Nothing you can say or do to make that overstuffed feeling go away other than write. Sit down and write it out.
 




Then there are those times when your head feels so empty. Feels like no thought has ever, or will ever, pass through. Void. Deplete of any type of usable information.

But no matter what phase you’re in, no matter how much you want to write, or how much you feel like you’ll never be able to again…you have no choice.

Well, a choice maybe, but it doesn’t seem like it.

In my experience, it can be equally as hard to write with a head full of words as it can with one that feels empty. In either scenario it’s hard to pull the correct words and shuffle them around on the page to make them into something coherent, or heaven forbid, even meaningful.

What usually helps me is reminding myself that it doesn’t have to be perfect. It doesn’t even have to be something I plan to keep and use. The whole point is just to get the words flowing, because once they’re moving, you’re flying. And when you fly, that’s when the magic happens. That’s when you spin that magic thread and make the story sing.

The way I do it? Free writing.

I sit down in front of a blank document and just write about whatever comes to mind. Whatever words pull at me first, I snatch them in and go. No preconceived ideas, no intentions.

In fact, that’s how I wrote this blog post. Pretty cool, huh?

What do you do when you’re overrun by, or missing, your words? Do you have a trick to get your flow back?

No comments: