Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Building a World

So, something that has happened in my new project is leading me down a path of a whole bunch of world building.  Now, I've written my share of fantasy, but usually my stories have a firm basis in the real world even if there are crazy fantastical things happening to them.

With this new story, which I'm calling OLEA (Oh-lee), the world building is going a little further.  It's set in a sort-of alternative future, where an event in our history going very differently changed the shape of the world they live in.  (And not in a little way, like in HUGE ways.)

Since I was home with a sick kiddo yesterday, and got zero time to write, I pulled out my box of drawing supplies and decided to try my hand at creating the images in my head on paper.

Well, I kinda suck at drawing.  I mean, I took some classes back in the day, but...yeah.  An artist I am not.  (No matter how much I'd like to be. lol)  Proof:



The dress is *supposed* to look like a flower -- the top being the stem.  See?  Yeah, not very good, but now I have at least got a good visual for writing.  :)  I've also started drawing out the layout of their city, and as plants play a really big roll in this story, I've started sketching some of those too.

Now, I think you all know by now I'm a big fan of pinterest and photo inspiration, but this is the first time I've set out to create my own images of what my world is like.  Have any of you done this before?  Do you find it helpful?  I'd love to hear what you think.

By the way, this is the NaNo project, not the WIP I keep mentioning.  :)  In case you're curious.


No comments: