Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tipsy Tuesday - I need a drink


So, yesterday was Super Spawn's very first day of 3k. How exciting, right? How much fun?

Yeah, it was exciting -- until about 4pm when I get a call from another child's mom. It went something like this:

Other mom: "Hi, this is other kid's mom, our sons go to school together."

Me: "Uh, hi." Thinking- oh no, what did Super Spawn do to her kid? Why's she calling me?!

Other mom: "I think the school accidentally sent Super Spawn's medicine home with other kid."

Me: "They what? What medicine?"

Other mom: "It's, like, a needle thing and benadryl."

Me: "THEY SENT HIS EPIPEN HOME WITH ANOTHER CHILD?!?!"

Other mom: "Isn't that something he needs to have with him all the time?"

Me: "YES! OH MY GOD!"

Other mom: "I'm sorry, I only saw it when we got home. I'll bring it to school in the morning."
Me: "Thank you so much for calling."

Now, parents of a non-allergy child, or someone who has never seen a person go into anaphylactic shock might think I'm overreacting. Truth is, the negligence of one person at that school yesterday could have KILLED two children.

I flipped out.

It has been handled, the school apologized profusely and reprimanded the negligent person. They have also developed a policy for how to handle Super Spawn's epipen so that it will always be within a moment's reach.

So, I was a little too stressed out last night to write my Tipsy Tuesday post. So you get tipsy ranting! HA! And here's the drink to go with it!


Paradise Punch

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup tequila blanco
  • 1/2 cup vodka
  • 1/2 cup rum
  • 1/2 cup gin
  • 2 cups cranberry juice
  • 2 cups pineapple juice
  • Pineapple wedges, for garnish

Directions

In a large pitcher, combine all ingredients and stir. Serve chilled in iced tea glasses with a wedge of pineapple for a garnish.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! How SCARY, Holly!!!

I'm glad you went bonkers on the school. They deserve your rafe. Aforementioned Negligent Person needs to be more careful. Phew -- I'm glad nothing horrible happened.

I hope the rest of Super Spawn's first week goes better...

Alicia Gregoire said...

OMG. Thank goodness Super Spawn didn't need that yesterday. I'd be tearing Negligent Person a new you-know-what.

Erinn said...

Yikes, as a teacher who works on that side of the line, I can see how it happens and I'm a little shocked it doesn't happen more often. But YIKES as a parent that scared the crap out of me.

Holly Hill said...

Erinn- He is the ONLY child at the entire school that carries an EpiPen. Plus his name is on it! I'm just baffled. It should never have happened, but I was guaranteed that it would never happen again.

At least it wasn't his teacher...if it had been his teacher who mixed it up I'd have pulled him out of the school completely.

I'm the spastic over protective mom that took a YEAR to choose a school. lol I wouldn't hesitate to move him somewhere else if I felt it necessary.