Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Recommendation - A Curse Dark as Gold

A Curse Dark as Gold
By Elizabeth Bunce


A Curse Dark as Gold


Blurb from Goodreads: "Upon the death of her father, seventeen-year-old Charlotte struggles to keep the family's woolen mill running in the face of an overwhelming mortgage and what the local villagers believe is a curse, but when a man capable of spinning straw into gold appears on the scene she must decide if his help is worth the price."

I read this book because of Abby's recommendation over on her blog.

It's a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin, which -- freaking cool, right?  I was sold the minute I saw that.

What I didn't expect was how deeply the story would hit me.  It scared the bejeezies out of me!  And it's not even scary really.  But, dude, I avoided the book one night because I was so creeped out from what I had read at lunch that day.  lol  Thing is, I couldn't not read it.  I had to know how it ended -- had to know everything would work out and be okay.

This book isn't about the razzle-dazzle, it's a quiet melancholy story that reaches into your heart and draws out your darkest fears.  Er-- maybe it was just me?  lol

Either way, it's an excellent story, and I definitely recommend it for people who enjoy reworkings of old stories, or just a good ghost-type story. 

The ending -- oh my gosh I was on pins and needles, tense as a wire, and SCARED to turn the light off because Jack Spinner was coming for me.  I WAS SO SURE!  lol  (I think I've admitted to being a scardy cat before, right?  Because I am.  For real.) 

8 comments:

Pam Harris said...

A book that could scare the bejeezies out of me? Count me in! Wait, does that make me weird? :)

Meredith McCardle said...

This is one of my all-time favorites!

Alicia Gregoire said...

I'll definitely have to pick it up. I had stuck it on my TR when Abby talked about it, but now you're telling me to do it too.

Meghan said...

This sounds seriously interesting. And in the future, should a book scare you, just use the Joey (from Friends) method: stick it in the freezer.

I did it with Silence of the Lambs and The Exorcist and it kind of works...but don't forget about it. Paper + ice crystals = sad face

:D

Holly Hill said...

Meghan, I don't think my Nook would fare well in the freezer. LOL *is guilty of reading mostly ebooks*

Erinn said...

ohhh.... I love it when the ending of a book freaks you out. ebooks don't fare well in a mircowave either, in case you were wondering.

Holly Hill said...

lol Erinn, have some personal experience there? ;)

Susan said...

I just read this too b/c of Meredith's recs! SMALL WORLD OF REDING, eh?

:) I also loved it. :)