Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and we answer it on our own blogs.  This week's topic:




Who (from real life) have you written into a book?



 The only person I've directly written into a book is my best friend.  I've taken personality traits and such from others, but my best friend is the only one who can totally claim a character.

I wrote her into my first book, Emerald's Keeper, as a teacher who's a fairy-type creature.  See, the bestie has always been obsessed with fairies.  A love of fairies is something we have shared for, oh, a decade at least.  :)  Plus, she kinda looks like a fairy, and she is a teacher for real.



What about you?  Have you written someone you know into a book?

16 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

I love how you put your bestie in and the reasoning behind what you made her. That's pretty awesome.

Unknown said...

That is great. I don't haven't actually been able to do this yet. Mostly I start off thinking I'll do that but then the characters just go and do their own thing. I did have a friend who was written as a character in a book by someone else and when I read it I was like "That's Barb"

Meredith McCardle said...

How cute is Baby Super Spawn?? I think that's a pretty awesome tribute to your best friend. I take it she was touched as well?

Holly Hill said...

Meredith, she was incredibly thrilled to be a character in the book. :)

Carrie, that's normally what happens to my characters too (even when they aren't based on real people lol), but the character suited her so so so well...it just worked.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I agree- BSS is the cutest!
I think that's a great tribute for a best friend.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Aww. Sounds like a great tribute to your bestie!

Katy Upperman said...

That's sweet to include your best friend, and especially sweet to make her a fairy. I bet she feels honored!

Erinn said...

Nice! A great way to give a shout out to the people you care about. WOOT you

Tracey Neithercott said...

I've never written a person into my books. But I love how you write your best friend in. Has she read it yet? I think it'd be pretty cool to hear what she thinks about her character.

Unknown said...

Aww that is so cute! I'll bet she was thrilled :)

Abby Stevens said...

I agree with Tracey - it'd be cool to hear (maybe even have her guest post?) about her reaction to reading herself as fiction.

Alison Miller said...

I have - sort of. You can check out the story on my blog. :)

PS - I can see why your bestie is your well, bestie. She sounds amazing.

Pam Harris said...

Aww, I bet she's so flattered. :)

Jess said...

What an honor! Faerie Teacher Bestie sounds like a fun character, and Baby Super Spawn is adorable!

Kaitlin Ward said...

ooh I would love to be written into someone's book as a fairy.

Kathy Bradey said...

Aw, so sweet!

And YAY @ Kaitlin! ;) You'd be an awesome fairy!