Friday, March 18, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday #2

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1256705590/paperhangoverbutton.PNG

Each week, Paper Hangover gives some kind of writing prompt--something to get those creative juices flowing. If you want to participate, just leave your link in the comments over there so we can all read what you write.

This week's prompt is:


In 300 words or less, write a story beginning with the cliche, "Another one bites the dust."


I'm working on dialogue this week:

"Another one bites the dust," I whisper into my cell phone.

My sister's voice sounds distant on the other end of the phone, like she's not really paying attention.  "That's great, Sis.  How'd you do it?"

I roll my head to the right to brace the phone between my face and shoulder so I can wash my hands in the sink.  "It wasn't easy.  I had to chase the little devil all through the park."  Grimy suds drop into the sink as I attempt to scrub my hands clean.

"Did he try hiding in the tree like last time?"

I sigh.  "Yes.  Of course.  And, you know, I'm really not as limber as I used to be.  It is not as easy to climb a tree as it looks."

My sister's laugh booms through the phone.  "You tried to climb up after him?  That's priceless."

"Ha.  Yeah, I put on quite a show for the other moms.  At least they had enough class not to laugh at me."  My sister bursts out laughing, and I have to pull the phone away from my ear with a wet hand before my eardrum explodes.  "Thanks, Sis."

"But kiddo is sleeping now?" she giggles.

"Yeah, out like a light."

3 comments:

Marquita Hockaday said...

Aw :D That was cute--and the dialogue was really good. It was believable and there was a nice flow to it. You're pretty good at flash fiction!

Holly Hill said...

Thanks, Quita! I've never been a short story writer, so these exercises are really doing me good!

Pam Harris said...

This is so good, Holly! I know--writing this is so helpful. I had to delete so many words to not past 300, and it's helping me see how I tend to bog down my writing with unnecessary details. :)