Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Recommendation -- The Day Before

The Day Before
By Lisa Schroeder

  The Day Before


 Blurb from Goodreads: "Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself. 

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets. 

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last."


First of all, I got this as an ARC thanks to Simon and Schuster's egalley program.  (Yay!)  This book will debut on June 28th from Simon Pulse.

Now, when I downloaded this galley, I didn't realize it was a novel in verse.  To be honest, I've never been a big fan of poetry (Feel free to slaughter me for saying that.)  So when I realized this was a story told in a poetic form, well, I was nervous.


But I have good news.  It. Was. Wonderful.

The words flowed along at a rhythmic pace, deepening and lifting the story in ways that wouldn't have been possible had it been told any other way.

Amber and Cade are both such rich characters.  Through the whole story one of the main driving forces is finding out who these people are.  What is it that drives them to be all alone at the beach? 

I don't know if I can really say much else without giving the story away.  Thing is, this is a fast read with an emotional intensity I didn't expect.  It is worth every minute you spend reading it.

Even if you don't have a love of poetry, I recommend you give it a try.  I'll be seeking out the other books Ms. Schroeder has written now for sure.


No comments: