Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sometimes it Doesn't


There's a lot of disappointment in writing.  You put your heart and soul into your words.  Pour every drop of blood, sweat, and tears you can muster into your plot and characters -- only to have someone come back and say it's not good enough.

Critique and feedback is important for writers.  It helps you grow as a person, as a writer, and as a storyteller overall.  But not everyone is going to envision your story the way you are.  Not everyone gets you.  That's news, huh?  ;) 

It's so, so important to only do revisions that resonate with you -- things that you really believe will make your story better and more encompassing of your original vision.  I'm sure I've given my share of not-taken feedback on MSs, and I've certainly had some advice that I decided against implementing.

And sometimes you'll question those decisions.  The most important thing though is that even as you question them,  you know you made the right choice.  Because if you had carried forward, and it hadn't gone the way you'd imagined, well, then you'd really be screwed.  I've always heard this, and tried to follow the advice, but having had the opportunity to actually experience it -- well, I'm really glad I heard it in the first place.  So I want to make sure you guys all hear it too.

Follow your hearts, lovelies.  You may be disappointed by the outcome, but there'll be no regret.

You guys are going to get sick of all of my self-realizations, aren't you?  ;)

No comments: