Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Fives -- The Wise Ones

Every Friday, the Paper Hangover crew gives a prompt for friday Fives.  Join in and link up on their post to see what everyone says!

This week's topic: FIVE pieces of useful advice you have received as an aspiring writer. Either in quotes, blog posts, websites or communities.

1.  Just Write. -  Simple as it sounds, this actually is the hardest part sometimes.  Don't think too hard, don't worry too much, just write.

2.  Tell that internal editor to Shut It!  -  Easier said than done, I know.  But when I can finally escape my harsh internal editor, my words flow, the emotions gain more depth, and my writing actually gets better.  Who'd a thunk it?  ;)

3.  Follow your gut.  -  This can apply to any stage of writing.  If your gut is saying the scene you're writing isn't working, well, it probably isn't.

4.  Get another set of eyes.  -  Critique partners, beta readers, alpha readers -- whatever you want to call them, get one (or a few).  Someone to read your words and help you make them better.  That's absolutely invaluable.  

5.  Write another book.  -  It speaks for itself.  Don't give up, write another book.  Stressing over waiting?  Write another book.  You get the picture.

What about you guys?  What are the five best bits of advice you've gotten?

On another note, I wanted to let you know I'm taking next week off from the blog.  I'll still have my Tuesday post over on Paper Hangover, but I'm in need of a break.  We'll just consider it my Happy Mother's Day present to myself.  ;)  

I'll be back the 16th bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, promise! 

No comments: