Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Book Recommendation -- Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook

So, I read a book over the weekend.  Two actually, but one of them was mine so it doesn't count.  ;)

Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
By Donald Maass

Writing the Breakout Novel 
Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed

In essence, what this book does is ask the hard questions on character development, plot, structure, pacing, etc.  And Maass gives examples from recognizable books to drive his points home.

I worked through this entire workbook this weekend, and let me tell you -- it's one of the best investments I've made in my writing.  Yes, I'm serious.

The questions through this workbook helped me look at my story in an entirely different way.  It made me turn my thinking around and consider aspects I'd never even thought to consider.  Which, can we say awesome?  It was awesome.

I have pages and pages of notes to use to work through my revisions because of this awesome book -- and they're not even huge changes, but they're changes that'll bring a big punch to the story.  I highly recommend everyone snatch a copy of this.  I'll be using it on all of my novels from now on.

Have any of you used the workbook before?  How'd you like it?

No comments: