Thursday, July 21, 2011

Patience: It ain't easy

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very good at waiting patiently for things.  I'm the kind of person that when an idea lightening bolt strikes, the words must be written rightthissecond.

And revisions?  I pump through the work with more zest than a lemon.  (Ha, I crack myself up.)

http://bakingbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lemonzested.JPG

If I start reading a book I expect to finish it within two days no matter what.  (Why do I do this to myself?  I don't know.  I'm insane I guess.)  I'm the same way at my day job too -- if I'm handed a project, it is completed with lightening speed.

I just don't wait around for anything.  I mean, I do my share of procrastination, but I'm also not going to let it get in the way of my (either perceived or pre-set) goals.  I'm a doer.  If I'm not doing something, working on something, I'm pacing the floor or pulling out my hair.

I'm not good at patience.

Except when I'm forced to be.  And I have been forced to lately for a whole host of different reasons.  To be honest, it has been really good for me.

Just an example -- those revisions I lost when my jump drive died, I had set them aside for about a week when I lost it all because something hadn't felt right with them.  I had decided to force a little more patience into my life and let them sit and stew to decide what the problem was.  Then the work was lost, and I was almost...glad.  I let it simmer a little longer and BANG!  Answer. 

If I had pushed through that feeling of doubt, which I normally would cast it off as just another writerly emotion, I'd still be trudging through a revision I hated deep down.  And why the heck would I do that?

So, all this to say:  Yay for patience.  I'm getting there -- reminding myself every day (or every hour when necessary) that patience is the key.  It's not easy, but it's something we've all got to come to terms with in every aspect of our lives I do suppose.  I'm working on it.

What about you all?  Are you naturally patient, or do you struggle with it like I do?

No comments: