Ah, cliches. Fun aren't they? These little landmines are super easy to fall into, but they can create quite a mess to be cleaned up. I don't even know if everyone would consider these cliches really, but hey, it's my list so I'll make it what I want. :P
1) Opening with a dream. - Er... Been there, done that. I think if done right, this can be a powerful beginning to a novel.
2) The prologue - They get a bad rap, but I will hold to the fact that they can also significantly impact a novel in a good way.
3) The shy girl who takes a stand and turns her life around and winds up in all-out butt kicking awesomeness.
4) The bad boy. I will always love the bad boy.
5) Fairy tales - I don't care how many fairy tales are written or rewritten, loved or hated, my heart belongs to that happily ever after.
What are your favorites?