So between Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon of last week I wrote about 5k words as a restart for my wip. A much stronger, much more exciting beginning to the story that has been plaguing me. (Which, up to now I'd only been adding 200-500 words at a time, so this was a huge breakthrough.)
Imagine my surprise when I went to continue the story Friday night and my jump drive was dead.
Many tears, and a trip to the computer store later, nothing can be retrieved.
Now, I'm a big fan of backup copies of everything -- so almost everything on there was backed up. Except my latest revisions I've been working on and, you guessed it, that brand new 5k words.
It's not as bad as it could have been, but it still sucks. So instead of adding to the story eating at my brain this weekend, I rewrote about 3k of it.
Think of this as your friendly reminder to back your files up. I've switched my backup service over to SugarSync, which can detect when I make changes to a document, and will back it up as soon as I hit save. Yeah, Holly's not losing any more work.