Monday, April 5, 2010

Book Recommendation - The Dead Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves
By Carrie Ryan


You know a book is good when you finish it in one day. I picked the book up Saturday, when I took my little man to the book store, thinking I could read it this week. Then I started reading it yesterday and couldn't put it down until it was done.

Every single page forces you to keep reading, the tension building, never giving you a moment of peace. As a writer it's something I hear often- make sure there's tension on every page. Man does Carrie knock a home run with that one! I thought The Forest of Hands and Teeth was tense but she took it to a whole new level.

The protagonist, Gabry, is incredibly likable and a character you can really relate to. Her fear feels like my fear, I can't imagine what I would do in her position, how I would act. The story starts out so peacefully, with some romantic tension, you don't even see it coming when all hell breaks loose. Quite literally.

Again- I'm not a zombie person, don't like scary stories- but this book is so much more than that. It's about Gabry's struggle trying to fit in, her fear, her love, her growth. I'm telling you now, read it. Carrie Ryan is an amazing storyteller with a nac for drawing you right into the thick of it with her characters.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I haven't read Dead-Tossed Waves... I tried Forest of Hands and Teeth, but found Mary (the MC) a bit too selfish... I like Carry Ryan's writing, though. Did you read both books or just the second??

Holly Hill said...

Susan, I read both, my review of Forest of Hands and Teeth is the post before this one. (2 days before? maybe 3) I said exactly the same thing, Mary is selfish to me and even a little hard to relate to. I liked Gabry much more than Mary. Much, much more.