Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Publishing Positives

It's Road Trip Wednesday over on the YA Highway, and today's topic is to discuss something positive about publishing. It's all part of No Whining Week. You can wine, just don't whine.

So, here we are, my positive takes on publishing!

First, they make books, and I love books. That may seem silly, but really, I adore the feel and smell of a brand new book. Hardcover especially. There's something about the crisp pages that takes me away into a world of bliss before I ever read a word.

Second, they make sure I have good books to read. Notice I specified GOOD. They edit, fix, fill, and otherwise make better all of their stories before going to print. So I know when I got to the bookstore I'm getting a quality story that isn't going to drive my internal grammar Nazi crazy as I read. Usually.

Third, they make dreams come true. Dreams like mine, of one day having the story you've labored over for so long reaching the minds of people you've never met before. It's like magic.

Finally, the whole publishing community is just that- a community. Writers, agents, editors, publishers all seem to band together to make the world a better place. As a superhero, I dig that.

7 comments:

Kaitlin Ward said...

I love getting new books, too. Sometimes I just like to look at my new books for a while before reading them haha.

Jessica K. said...

One day your stories will be more than just books, they will be best sellers and movies! Watch out world! Here Comes SUPER MOMMY!!!!!!

Glenna said...

The publishing industry is totally a league of super heros... We all need costumes stat. (:

Holly Hill said...

I love costumes! -Runs to find cape- ;)

Jess said...

"Third, they make dreams come true. Dreams like mine, of one day having the story you've labored over for so long reaching the minds of people you've never met before. It's like magic."

So well put. I get giddy just thinking about it! :)

Kate Hart said...

A stack of new books is like a box of new crayons to me. They both make me inexplicably happy.

YA Highway said...

Thanks for participating, Holly!