Okay, so maybe not that kind of tipsy. Unless you've got a chilled moscato hanging out over there. Then it's game ON! I jest, I jest. Or do I?
Enough circles. On this Tipsy Tuesday I bring you tips for query submissions I have gathered across the array of agent blogs I follow.
- Personalize the letter. No, Ms. Agent Lady doesn't enjoy being addressed as Dear Sir. Be sure to use the agent's name, spelled correctly.
- Never ever, ever, ever, ever CC a gajillion agents on a single query email. They know. It's really an insult--like saying they're not worth your time.
- No matter how great the urge-- do NOT send gifts along with a paper query. It's creepy.
- Do your research. Sending an agent a query for a genre they don't represent is wasting both your time. Most agents list things they represent on their website and/or on sites like query tracker and publishers marketplace.
- Don't send attachments to emails, unless the agent specifically asks for it! It will be deleted for fear of viruses.
Now, some not so serious mommy tips.
- Never let Super-Spawn nap until nearly 5pm, he will never go to sleep at night.
- Of course cake is a healthy food! Grandma says so!
- Repeating Mama over and over and over and over is a tactic to make you cave. DO NOT GIVE IN!
- Puppy dog eyes and pouty lips work, even if you don't want them to.
- They really are cute when they sleep, it's the waking hours you have to worry about.