Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sorta Random

I saw this banner at the mall over the weekend. I keep reflecting on the passage it had written across the black background, and decided to share. It read:

If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person. If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house. If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world. (Chinese proverb)

Naturally I immediately scribbled it down, and took a quick picture. It is oddly reminiscent of my novel, Emerald's Keeper. The whole basis of my story is the light within people, their goodness, being taken away. That leads my mind to wonder, well what if every person had that light and there was no darkness? Would there truly be peace in the world? Is it even possible to be completely good- as in never even a stray malicious thought- and maintain your free will? I don't think so. In my book Mandy learns that those purely good and purely evil have no free will, and decides we mere mortals are truly blessed to have the freedom to be both good and evil. And if it were possible to have only light in the world, would it upset the precarious balance of our existence? It does for Mandy.

Yes, this is really how my brain works on a daily basis. It's the philosopher in me.

No comments: